Welcome to the HPU Food & Essentials Pantry webpage! Food insecurity is a growing concern for college students nationwide, and Howard Payne wants to help ensure that current HPU students have basic needs met. The Food & Essentials Pantry is staffed by volunteers from HPU’s Retired Employees Association, local alumni and other friends of the University. We appreciate the support given by various individuals and groups who have helped make the pantry a reality, including the Baptist Student Ministry, Dr. Diana Ellis, HPU faculty and staff, local churches, Sodexo, Student Activities, and Student Life.
Location & Hours of Operation
Location: Physical Plant room 101 (1018 Fisk Street, next to the Outdoor Recreation Center and Newbury Place Apartments)
Hours: The Food Pantry will be open Mondays from 10:30a.m. – 1:30p.m on the first Monday of each month of the school year (excluding December and May).
Pantry utilization is limited to currently enrolled HPU students. Students must bring their HPU Student ID Cards to utilize the pantry.
In addition to being a currently enrolled student, the following policies will guide pantry utilization:
- Student must sign in with volunteers before accessing the pantry.
- First-time users must sign a Recipient Agreement Form provided by a pantry volunteer.
- Food items are assigned point values, and the following point value system will be used to determine how many items can be obtained per visit, with extra consideration given in point values for students with dependent family members:
|Student only||Student +1 dependent||Student +2||Student +3||Student +4 or more|
- Student will then be allowed to fill a bag with items up to but not exceeding their number of points. (Points will generally be located on the bottom of the item.)
- Student will receive their allotment of points based on need. These points are per visit only and do not roll over to subsequent visits. See chart above.
- Before exiting the pantry, the volunteer attendant will verify that the student has not exceeded the number of points they have been allotted. (Some items will be worth more points because they will last longer, ex.: peanut butter = 2 pts, can of corn = 1 pt.)
- The volunteer attendant will also keep a log of each type of item the student will receive in effort to keep the pantry stocked with necessary items.
- Student will not be able to leave the pantry with the items until they have all been logged and verified that they have not exceeded the points allotted to them.
With questions or concerns about the HPU Food & Essentials Pantry, or to make a donation, please contact any of the following:
Director of Student Activities
Donations of food items or monetary contributions are gladly accepted. All donations will be directed to the HPU Food & Essentials Pantry.
Food and essentials items may be dropped off at the Office of Student Life, Mabee University Center 2nd Floor.
Monetary donations may be made through any of the following means:
Online: Online Donation Form
Mail: Office of Student Life
Attn: Food & Essentials Pantry
1000 Fisk Street
Brownwood, TX 76801
In Person: Office of Student Life
Mabee University Center, 2nd Floor
1000 Fisk Street
Brownwood, TX 76801
What items are needed?
Donated items should be convenient (easy-open cans), non-perishable, and generally should not require cooking (with a few exceptions). Items needed include: canned vegetables, toilet paper, laundry detergent, rice, box meals (non-perishable), cereal, granola bars, canned soups.
Would Your Organization Like to Adopt a Food/Essentials Item?
There are a number of items we like to keep in stock, and your department or organization could make a big difference. Please review the list of items below and notify the Director of Student Activities at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 325-649-8305 if your group would like to sponsor an item.