BROWNWOOD – March 16, 2020 – As part of Howard Payne University’s response to the COVID-19 outbreak, the university announced the postponement or cancellation of all its large events through April 12. Events will be rescheduled if possible, with details for each to be announced when finalized.
The scheduling adjustments were prompted by caution about the potential spread of COVID-19.
“Our number-one concern is the safety of the HPU family and our surrounding communities,” said Dr. Cory Hines, HPU president. “We will continue to monitor the situation and adjust our schedule if needed.”
HPU events affected by the cancellations or postponements are listed below. With regard to events for which tickets were purchased or tables were sponsored in advance, the tickets or sponsorships will be valid for the rescheduled date. Event organizers will contact ticketholders and/or table sponsors when updated event details are available.
Cancelled or postponed events:
· All HPU Chapel services (including Holy Week activities) through April 12
· All HPU athletics events through the spring 2020 semester
· All Central Texas Community Band rehearsals through April 12
· All New Horizon International Band Program events through April 12
· All Department of Music recitals and concerts through April 12
· All HPU Family Reception alumni events through April 12
· Sarah “Abi” Brown’s Senior Art Reception and Exhibit, originally scheduled for March 16-20
· Spring Sing 2020, originally scheduled for March 20-21
· Yellow Jacket Preview, originally scheduled for March 21
· Newbury Family Welcome Center groundbreaking ceremony, originally scheduled for March 31
· Women’s Club Yellow Rose Luncheon, originally scheduled for April 2
· HPU Fest, originally scheduled for April 4
· Community Lunch and Learn, originally scheduled for April 7
As of this date, Chime Out and Commencement will be held as planned on May 8 and 9, respectively.
HPU posts regular updates on its COVID-19 response online. See https://www.hputx.edu/covid-19-information/ for the latest updates.