Are the Howard Payne University Christian Studies graduate programs accredited?
Yes. Howard Payne University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), Southwest Region
What are the requirements to apply?
Applicants must meet the following requirements for acceptance to the program:
- hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- submit the online application, found here
- submit the additional required forms, found here
Is there an application fee?
No application fee is required.
How do I apply?
The application can be found here
Deadline for application?
Applications for admission should be submitted between March 15 and July 1 for the fall semesters, and between August 15 and December 1 for the spring semesters.
Are any courses offered completely online?
The only completely online courses that are currently offered are leveling courses (Introduction to Old Testament, Introduction to New Testament, & Theological Foundation)
Can I transfer credit from another institution?
Yes, students may transfer up to 12 hours of graduate level credit, assuming that the coursework is approximately equivalent to the classes required for the degree.
Do I have to move to Brownwood?
No. Both degrees are offered through modular classes.
What are modular classes?
Typically, modular classes include work to be completed in the weeks prior to class (pre-assignments), four intensive days in the classroom, and work to be completed over several weeks afterwards (post-assignment).
What would I do about lodging?
The university provides for students to live in a residence hall during modular classes for a fee of $25 per week. This prevents students from having to secure and pay for a hotel.
How long would it take to complete the degree?
Two years is the fastest one could complete the degree, but students may choose to go at a slower pace, depending on their circumstances.
Does the program use a cohort system?
No. Required courses are offered in modular format every two years, but students may go at their own pace.
How much is graduate tuition?
Tuition is $525 per semester hour.
Is financial assistance available for graduate students?
Yes. At least three opportunities are available:
- Church Match: If a student’s church is willing to provide financial assistance (up to $100 per semester hour), HPU will match it.
- Ministerial Financial Aid: If the student is an active member of a Baptist church, Texas Baptists will provide a scholarship of $100 per semester hour.
- Loans: Graduate students may apply for and receive federal monies through loans by making application with the financial aid office.
Financial aid and scholarship forms can be found here